what are the advantages and disadvantages of JMeter?
advantages and disadvantages of JMeter
JMeter is a software that can perform load test, performance-oriented business (functional) test, regression test, etc., on different protocols or technologies.
in this post we will see Pros and corns of JMeter:
Advantages of JMeter
- Open Source: JMeter is an open source software. This means that it can be downloaded free of cost. It is also a 100% pure Java application. The developer can use its source code, can modify and customize it as per their requirement. They can also contribute their code to make a better JMeter.
- Ease of Use: The user can install and use JMeter easily. Just download it from the internet, install and run. As a pure Java desktop application, it comes ready to use with default settings. It does not require you to have any specific skills or domain knowledge to use it.
- Platform independent: JMeter is developed in Java, which is the most popular programming language in the world. Therefore, it can run in any OS be it Window, Linux or Mac.
- Robust Reporting: JMeter can generate the effective reporting. The test result can be visualized by using Graph, Chart, and Tree View. JMeter supports different formats for reporting like text, XML, HTML, and JSON.
- Ultimate Testing: With JMeter, a user can do any kind of testing they want. Load Test, Stress Test, Functional Test, Distributed Test, all in one tool.
- Flexibility: You can customize JMeter as per your requirement and apply the automation testing to JMeter. You can save the effort of executing test cases manually.
- Multi-Protocol Support: JMeter supports several protocols like HTTP, FTP, SOAP, JDBC, JMS, and LDAP. It can also be used for testing the performance of your database.
JMeter is an amazing tool, but it still has some drawbacks.
Disadvantages of JMeter
Memory Consumption: JMeter can simulate heavy load and visualize the test report. This may consume lots of memory and can lead out of memory under heavy load.
Web application only: JMeter is a good tool for testing web application but it is not a suitable tool for testing desktop application.