“The Systems development life cycle (SDLC), or Software development process in systems engineering, information systems and software engineering, is a process of creating or altering information systems, and the models and methodologies that people use to develop these systems. In software engineering, the SDLC concept underpins many kinds of software development methodologies. These methodologies form the framework for planning and controlling the creation of an information system: the software development process.”
SDLC stands for “Software Development Life Cycle”. It is the process of developing software through business needs,analysis, design, implementation and maintenance.
SDLC mainly divided into following stages or phases.
- Requirement Gathering – In this phase, company or client besides what exactly they need to build. they gather the information and data and create a document, usually called MRD ( Market research document) this document carries the things which needs to be build.
- Design – After requirement gathering, Design for that application has been made so that Development team can start working on it. out come of this stage is mainly the specification documents which tell you how the application will work and how we need to build it.
- Development: After the detailed requirement documents (some companies have design documents instead of requirement documents), the developers start writing their code (program) for their modules. On the other hand, the testers in the QA (Quality Assurance) Department start writing Test Plans (one module=1 test plan), test cases and get ready for testing.
- Testing: Once the code (programs) are ready, they are compiled together and to make a build. This build is now tested by the software testers (QA Testers)
- Implementation : After testing the application, application will ready for production deployment. it means it will be available for real customers to use.
- Maintenance : This is last phase where, application needs to maintained.