RSelenium UnknownError - java.lang.IllegalStateException with Google Chrome


I am running the following script based on the RSelenium Basics CRAN page:

(args = c("-port 4455"), log = FALSE, invisible = FALSE)
<- remoteDriver(browserName = "chrome")

This produces the following error:

Exception in thread "main" Selenium is already running on port 4444. Or some other service is.
at org
at org
at org
at org

Based on the comments from this conversation on GitHub, I’ve modified my startServer() command like so:

startServer(args = c("-port 4455"), log = FALSE, invisible = FALSE)

I then receive the following error in my console:

Error:   Summary: UnknownError
Detail: An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command.
class: java.lang.IllegalStateException

And this error in the Java prompt that pops up:

14:38:55.098 INFO - Launching a standalone Selenium Server
14:38:55:161 INFO - Java: Oracle Corporation 25.40-b25
14:38:55.161 INFO - OS: Windows 7 6.1 amd64
14:38:55.161 INFO - v2.46.0, with Core v2.46.0. Built from revision 87c69e2
14:38:55.209 INFO - Driver class not found:
14:38:55.209 INFO - Driver provider is not registered
14:38:55:289 INFO - RemoteWebDriver instances should connect to:
14:38:55:289 INFO - Selenium Server is up and running

I’m not sure if the lack of an Opera driver is an actual error or just a warning. Regardless, I would like to use Chrome, so it seems like it shouldn’t matter. What am I doing wrong?

  • You must to post comments

I was finally able to get RSelenium to work by piecing together information from a number of different sources. I think it would be helpful to have all of this information in one location, so here is the process that I went through to get RSelenium to work on Windows 7 (64-bit) with Chrome as the browser:

  1. Download the 64-bit version of Java. I could not get anything to work with the standard download.
  2. Download ChromeDriver.
  3. Download the Selenium Standalone Server or run checkForServer() from R.
  4. Create a batch file to start the Selenium server. I initially tried to use startServer() from an R script, but it would frequently get stuck and not carry on to the next line in the script. Here is the batch file that I created:

    java -jar C:\path\to\selenium-server-standalone.jar\path\to\chromedriver.exe

    ChromeDriver can be put in the PATH environmental variable, but I decided to add in the path to ChromeDriver to the batch file (which accomplishes the same goal).

  5. Run the R script. Here is my final script:

    <- remoteDriver(browserName = "chrome")
    (silent = TRUE)

    The Sys.sleep() call was necessary because I would get an error in the remoteDriver() call if it ran before the Selenium Server had finished starting.

  • You must to post comments
Showing 1 result
Your Answer
Post as a guest by filling out the fields below or if you already have an account.