Often QA gets confused with the difference between the load testing and stress testing. both the terms looks similar but has a distinct difference. Load and Stress testings are the type of Performance testing where we find the performance of software under loading and stress conditions.
Load Testing is a type of testing aimed at simulating real-life workload conditions for the software under test (ex-for web testing it will be the web server )and checking its behavior under massive load.
Load testing usually did to find out “application response for X number of users (may be concurrent) ”
Load testing allows determining:
- How many users can work with the software or web server simultaneously without perceptible slowdown?
- How the server response time changes if the number of the users’ increases.
Stress Testing is a type of testing aimed at verifying the target server’s behavior under extremely heavy load and at determining the load that causes the tested application to crash.
Stress testing allows determining:
- What load can crash the application?
- What tested application parameters need to be monitored.
- How to fail over the tested web application.
this is fair enough comparison between load testing and stress testing.