Define Test Strategy and its components
The Test Strategy document is a static document meaning that it is not updated too often. It sets the standards for testing processes and activities and other documents such as the Test Plan draws its contents from those standards set in the Test Strategy Document.
Some companies include the “Test Approach” or “Strategy” inside the Test Plan, which is fine and it is usually the case for small projects. However, for larger projects, there is one Test Strategy document and different number of Test Plans for each phase or level of testing.
Components of the Test Strategy document
- Scope and Objectives
- Business issues
- Roles and responsibilities
- Communication and status reporting
- Test deliverable
- Industry standards to follow
- Test automation and tools
- Testing measurements and metrics
- Risks and mitigation
- Defect reporting and tracking
- Change and configuration management
- Training plan