Software testing life cycle is the set of the QA activities needs to be carry out during Software Development. these QA activities are divided into Six phases
- Requirement Gathering and Analysis
- Test Planning
- Test Case Creation
- Test execution
- Sign off
1) Requirement Gathering and Analysis: during phase of Requirement gathering, QA Activity is to Gather the all requirements related to testing and Analyze the Scope of Testing. During this phase QA needs to come up with following..
- Scope of the testing
- Prioritize the Scope of testing activities.
- Identify the Tools, Hardware needs, resources required.
- Define the Test Strategy
2) Test Planning: During the Test planning, QA Design and creates
- Test plan
- Requirement Traceability Matrix
- Tools Evaluation and implementation
- Effort estimation
- Resource planning
- Training plan
3) Test Case Creation: during this phase QA create Test cases, Test data for the software under test. also creates automation scripts.
4) Test Execution : during this phase Test cases gets executed and QA reports the defects and Verify the defects which got fixed by developer.
5) Reporting: there are different types of report needs to prepare and send across the team.
- Defect Status report
- Test Execution report
- Different Metrics
6) Sign Off or Closure of the QA Activities: this is an import phase where QA Sign off the quality. it includes what QA tested so far and reports which tells the health/quality of the software. in this phase QA needs to verify following major activities performed
- Make sure that all Test cases executed as per the plan
- Make sure that Defect rate is low and all Blocker, Critical and some major defects are verified by the QA team
- Make sure that software has been tested on all required platforms.