Step by Step Website Testing
Now a days, Website testing is booming , everyone is moving on the Web and mobile from desktop. for such fast growing environment, QA needs to give complete attention towards the latest trends in software testing and Technology for Website testing and mobile applications testing.
in this post we will see about the how to test the website or things which needs to be consider in website testing.
First of all, need to identify on which platform the website or web application is being created. there are several languages in which you can develop the web application, like php, .net, etc. most popular language is PHP. this will helps QA to create the Testing strategy.
For website testing we need to conduct following types of testing.
1) User Interface (UI) Testing : in which we will test the UI of the website or application and also validate HTML and CSS along with it. also we need to test the dynamically generated html pages.
2) Functionality testing : in functionality testing, main focus testing area will be
a. workflow testing: in workflow testing we make sure all functionality is working as per specification.
b. Cookie Testing: Cookie is nothing but an encrypted file which stores some data on client’s or user’s machine. cookie file typically contains, session data and other information related to the website/application. while testing cookies, QA needs to focus on Cookie encrypted files, and porting cookies on other machines and delete the cookies.
c. Session testing: in website testing, Session can be maintain in two ways 1) Client side – session information is mainly maintain in the cookie. 2) Server side : Session is maintain at server side but still the access is keys remain maintained in the cookies.
d. Database testing: Database testing is one of important part in doing website testing. most of websites are dynamic and all data is maintain in database. QA has to know the basic database command to test the database. to achieve certain condition, QA might need to alter some data. during testing database, QA also needs to make sure the Column type and size should be consistent with the appropriate UI.
e. Server side testing: Server side testing typically contains Load balancer testing, server requests and response, Cache mechanisms,
4) Performance Testing: refer : link for performance testing
5) Security Testing: before starting security testing ask few questions to yourself and try to get answers for it.
- Confidentiality: Does your application keep your private data private?
- Integrity: Can the data from your app be trusted and verified?
- Authentication: Does your app verify you are who you say you are?
- Authorization: Does your application properly limit user privileges?
- Availability: Can an attacker take the app offline?
- Non-Repudiation: Does your app keep records of events?
We’ll probe for the most common security & privacy vulnerabilities, including XSS (cross-site scripting), SQL injection, Denial of Service (DoS) and other common attack vectors.