6 Steps Process of Inspection
Inspection is the most formal type of review. Inspection follows a typical formal review process this consists of six main steps
6 Steps Process of Inspection
1. Planning– This is a initial phase of review. In this phase author requests to moderator to schedule a review meeting. Before scheduling Moderator makes sure that reviewer’s time is not wasted on a document that is not ready for review. A document containing too many obvious mistakes is clearly not ready to enter a formal review process. it could possibly de-motivate both reviewer’s and author.Moderator should look for below things to approve the document or code for review.a) short check of document or code sample by moderator does not reveal a large number of defects document to be reviewed is available with line numbers References needed for the inspection are stable and available The documents author is well prepared to join the review team and feels confident with quality of document.
In formal review process only a page or two may be looked at in depth in order to find the most serious defects that are not obvious because human mind can comprehend a limited set of pages at one time,the number should not be too high.
The review team normally consists of four to six participants including moderator and author. To improve the effectiveness of the review,different roles are assigned to each of the participants. the roles represent view of the document under review.
2. Kick-off– During the kick-off meeting the reviewers receive a short introduction on the objectives of the review and documents. Roles assignment,checking rate,the pages to be checked,process changes and possible other changes are also discussed. The distribution of the document under review,source document and other related documentation,can also be done during the kick-off meeting.
3. Preparation– In this phase, participants work individually on the document under review by using the related document. The individual participants identify defects,questions and comments,according to their understanding and role. The critical factor for the preparation phase is the number of pages checked per hour. This is called checking rate. The optimum checking rate is the result of mix of factors,including the type of document , it’s complexity, the number of related documents and the experience of the reviewer…..
4. Review meeting – In the meeting, four type of participants can be distinguished: moderator,author,reviewer,scribe.Moderator leads the review process. The moderator performs the entry check and the follow up on the rework in order to control the quality of the input and output of the review meeting. Moderator holds the right to postpone or cancel the review meeting if minimum number of members are not present or reviewers are not prepared for review meeting.Author is the writer of the document or code under review. The author’s basic goal should be to learn as much as possible with regard to improving the quality of the document,but also to improve his or her ability to write future document or code.The scribe is the person who has to record each defect mentioned and any suggestions for process improvement. Scribe has to make sure the log is readable and understandable.Reviewers has to check any material for defect,mostly prior to the meeting. reviewers should be chosen to represent different perspective and roles in the review process.
5. Rework- Author has to rework on the document or code, with respect to the defects and changes suggested by reviewer.Author should keep track of the changes made in the document or code
6. Follow-up- The Moderator is responsible for ensuring that satisfactory actions have been taken on all defects,process improvement suggestions and change requests
In order to control and optimize the review process,a number of measurements are collected by the moderator at each step of the process.
Examples of such measurements include number of defects found,number of defects found per page,time spent checking per page,total review efforts etc. It is the responsibility of the moderator to ensure that the information is correct and stored for future analysis.
inspection plays very important role in Software quality assurance.