Most common fields in Defect Report are:
- Component ( Feature name)
- Build no.
- Severity of the defect
- Defect Summary
- Operating System
- Internet Browser ( in case of web application)
- Steps to reproduce the defect
- Actual result
- Expected Result
- Additional information ( Error log, Error Messages, etc)
- Attachments ( images, videos for support defect and helps other to reproduce it)
Before reporting defect make sure that Defect is reproducible, best way to reproduce the defect with fresh data. do not use legacy data, it may be corrupted due to testing.
Do the proper bug isolation, reduce the no. of steps to reproduce the defects.
Make sure that Summary of the defect is precise and specific so that other team member can understand the defect by reading the summary line. Do not write summary vague. something like.. XXXX functionality is not working. it very bad summary line.
Its very important to give the correct information about the Build no, Operating system and internet browsers. many times QA forgot to include the these details which leads in time lost of developers, testers and managers.
Severity is most important parameter which QA/Lead needs to assign for the defect in defect report. generally there are 5 types of severity levels
- Blocker : for crash or major part of application is not working
- Critical : Major failure in Features.
- Major : Logical errors, Major UI defects
- Minor : UI defects
- Wishlist : functionality is not present in application, but nice to have , also minor usability issues can be logged here.
now coming to core part of defect report, Steps to reproduce the defect. make sure that steps are clear, precise and specific. add more and more details steps so that any team members ( Dev, Managers etc) can able to reproduce the defects. for effectiveness of the defect separate actual and expected result. and in “expected result” demand expected behavior do not put open ended statement.
- Open http://www.qeworks.com
- Click on “Login” Link on Top Right corner
- Enter Login details:
- UserName : Tester123
- Password : Password
- Click on “Login” button
Actual Result : User is getting Page not found page
Expected Result: User should get the User area and user should able to login.
Additional information : 404 error message
Attachment : image.jpg
above example gives you more clear picture about the effective defect report.